The shortlist for this year’s Scottish Children’s Book Awards has been announced today, Tuesday 6th September.
As Scotland’s largest children’s book awards, they recognise excellence in Scottish writing and illustration for children across three age categories: Bookbug Readers (0-7 years), Younger Readers (8-11 years) and Older Readers (12-16 years), with the winners decided by Scottish children themselves, who will be reading and voting for their favourite books of the year. The winners will be announced at a special awards ceremony on 23rd February 2012 at Edinburgh’s Lyceum Theatre.
So far, over 5,000 children in 81 Scottish schools and libraries have already registered to vote. In 2010, 16,000 children took part, and with registration open until 27th January 2012, this year’s awards are likely to be the biggest ever in terms of children participating!
THE 2011 SHORTLIST CONSISTS OF:
Bookbug Readers (0-7 years)
- DEAR VAMPA by Ross Collins (Hodder)
- THE LOON ON THE MOON by Chae Strathie and Emily Golden (Scholastic)
- APPLE PIE ABC by Alison Murray (Orchard)
Younger Readers (8-11 years)
- ZAC AND THE DREAM PIRATES by Ross MacKenzie (Chicken House)
- THERE’S A HAMSTER IN MY POCKET! by Franzeska G Ewart (Frances Lincoln)
- THE CASE OF THE LONDON DRAGONFISH by Joan Lennon (Catnip)
Older Readers (12-16 years)
- WASTED by Nicola Morgan (Walker)
- THE BLACKHOPE ENIGMA by Teresa Flavin (Templar)
- THE PRISONER OF THE INQUISITION by Theresa Breslin (Corgi – RHCB)