The English Association is now delighted to announce the WINNERS of the 2016 English 4-11 Picture Book Awards.
Four imaginative, illuminating, engrossing books display the diversity of excellence in picture books today, and clearly demonstrate their relevance to children of ALL ages. See details below, or on the attached Press Release.
The Awards will be presented to the winning authors, illustrators and publishers on Wednesday 25 May at the British Academy, following the English Association’s Annual General Meeting.
The WINNERS are:
4-7 yrs Fiction
I Am Henry Finch Alexis Deacon, illustrated by Viviane Schwarz Walker Books
7-11 yrs Fiction
Greenling Levi Pinfold Templar Publishing
4-7 yrs Non-Fiction
Take Away the A Michaël Escoffier, illustrated by Kris Di Giacomo Andersen Press
7-11 yrs Non-Fiction
The Wonder Garden Jenny Broom, illustrated by Kristjana S Williams Wide Eyed Editions
Counting Lions Virginia McKenna and Katie Cotton, illustrated by Stephen Walton Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
Dreams of Freedom Amnesty International/various Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
I Love This Tree Anna Claybourne Franklin Watts
One Day on Our Blue Planet in the Savannah Ella Bailey Flying Eye Books
The Bear and the Piano David Litchfield Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
The Crow's Tale Naomi Howarth Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
The First Slodge Jeanne Willis, illustrated by Jenni Desmond Little Tiger
The School of Art Teal Triggs, illustrated by Daniel Frost Wide Eyed Editions
The Story of Life: A First Book About Evolution Catherine Barr and Steve Williams, illustrated by Amy Husband Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
William Shakespeare: Scenes from the life of the world’s greatest writer Mick Manning and Brita Granström Frances Lincoln Children’s Books
About the English 4-11 Picture Book Awards:
Established in 1995, the awards are presented annually by the English Association to the best picture books of the previous year, in four categories: Fiction 4-7 and 7-11 yrs, and Non-Fiction 4-7 and 7-11 yrs.
· The winning books are chosen by the editorial board of English 4-11 from a shortlist selected by a panel of teachers and primary specialists.
· The prizes are awarded at the English Association’s Annual General Meeting each May, and the winning and shortlisted books are featured in a full-colour poster in the summer issue of English 4-11. This poster is also circulated to libraries, children’s bookshops and other interested parties.
· English 4-11 is the only journal dedicated to English in the primary classroom. It is a joint publication of the English Association and the United Kingdom Literacy Association .
· Published three times an academic year (Autumn, Spring, Summer), English 4-11 contains material produced by, and for, the classroom teacher, practical resources, outlines of successful projects, case studies, and reviews of books, DVDs, IT and other teaching materials, as well as news, views and reports on current research. It is intended for all those involved in English in the primary classroom.
· The English Association, founded in 1906, is a registered charity which received a Royal Charter on its centenary in 2006. It is the oldest established association in the United Kingdom for those interested in English at all levels, from primary to higher education and beyond. Its aim is to further knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of the English language and its literatures and to foster good practice in its teaching and learning.
· The United Kingdom Literacy Association is a registered charity, which has as its sole object the advancement of education in literacy. UKLA is committed to promoting good practice nationally and internationally in literacy and language teaching and research. The Association was founded in 1963 as the United Kingdom Reading Association. In 2003 it changed its name to the United Kingdom Literacy Association, to reflect more accurately its wider range of concerns.
· Full details of the Awards, with links to the winners (from 9.00am 11 May), the shortlist, and reviews of the winning and shortlisted books, are on http://bit.ly/4-11awards